I spy... the teeny tiny beginnings of a bump! Get out your magnifying glass because you have to look really hard, but I am starting to get a little bit of a belly. Basically I look like I just ate a big meal, but I'm here to tell you that it's all baby (or pregnancy bloat at the least). Take a look (by the way-- hurray for daylight!):
It's a good thing I work from home because the button on my jeans has been undone while sitting most of the week. :-) Overall, I'm still feeling pretty good. Sleeping at night continues to be an on again, off a gain challenge. Some nights I sleep fine, and other nights I'm up every few hours. I suppose it's good practice for when the baby comes, but frankly I'd rather sleep right now.
Lately I've been waking up extremely parched and will end up drinking a full bottle of water (about 20 ounces) between bedtime and morning. Apparently the thirst is because my body is producing more blood and because the placenta is starting to develop. It's also starting to get the slightest bit uncomfortable to lay on my stomach (I'm a stomach sleeper for the most part). I've read that when pregnant it's best to sleep on your left side because it increases blood flow to the baby and helps rid the body of toxins. One night this week I tried sleeping on my left side with a pillow behind me so I wouldn't roll over, but I ended up just feeling hot and squished so I tossed the pillow on the floor. I may try rolling up a blanket (long ways) so that it will encourage me to stay on my side while sleeping, but not take up so much room in the bed.
..........................
Here's what's going down on the inside:
Your baby, just over 1 1/2 inches long and about the size of a fig, is now almost fully formed. Her hands will soon open and close into fists, tiny tooth buds are beginning to appear under her gums, and some of her bones are beginning to harden.
She's already busy kicking and stretching, and her tiny movements are so effortless they look like water ballet. These movements will become more frequent as her body grows and becomes more developed and functional. You won't feel your baby's acrobatics for another month or two — nor will you notice the hiccupping that may be happening now that her diaphragm is forming.
Earlier this week I took dinner to my college friend and sorority sister, Niki, and her family as they recently had another baby. Charlie (the baby) was about two and a half weeks old and a little over seven pounds. He was SO tiny! I think he may be the littlest baby I've ever held. All his little noises and facial expressions were so amazing and made me really excited to meet our own little baby in about six and a half more months. I was busting at the seams wanting to tell Niki I am pregnant the whole time I was visiting, but we've got a few more weeks to go. It will be fun (and a relief!) to share our news with "the world" in about two more weeks!