Sunday, May 19, 2013

First Mother's Day

Our first Mother's Day with Max was perfect! We started our day with a run on the Greenway with friends. The guys run together every weekend (usually on a Saturday, but we were out of town so it was moved to Sunday) and Ben had a chance to try running with Max in the jogging stroller. I came along and ran (slowly) behind them in case Max hated riding the jogger and the guys needed to turn around and hand him off.




Max ended up enjoying the trip, though, and the guys had fun taking turns pushing the baby. After we all got home, showered, and Max took a nap, we packed up for the afternoon. We went to a nearby park and hiking spot called Sawnee Mountain and enjoyed a pizza picnic lunch. My two favorite guys made me a sweet card that made me tear up and confirmed just how lucky I am to be Max's mama and Ben's wife. The weather was absolutely perfect, too! Sunny, warm, and a cool breeze to keep it from feeling hot.



We strapped Max in to the baby carrier (first time getting worn on the back!), cleaned up our lunch, and headed up the mountain.




There were lots of other families who had the same idea, but it never seemed all that crowded on the trail. On our way we spotted a place where a mine had been dug long ago! Ben and I have done this little hike before, but didn't remember seeing it last time.




At the top we were greeted by gorgeous vistas of the countryside, and we could see the Blue Ridge Mountains in the distance. It was a bit windy and Max was starting to get hungry and cranky, so we just snapped a few pictures and started to head back down the trail.






We knew Max wouldn't make it to the bottom, so we pulled off the side of the trail and Max enjoyed his own lunch while Ben and I sat and chatted.



Gah! I love these two so much. The adorableness of this photo is overwhelming. :-)  Oh, and please excuse my finger in the corner. haha





When he was done, I took a turn wearing Max on my back. It felt strange to have him on my back as I am used to wearing him on the front.



Not too far down the trail Max decided he'd had enough with being strapped in so we stopped and Ben ended up carrying him in his arms the rest of the way back.




We found a little bench along the way and stopped for photos! I wished we'd asked someone to take a picture of all three of us together. Oh, well!





It's no secret that I have a major sweet tooth, so we decided to head to a self-serve frozen yogurt place after our hike. Max fell asleep in the car and we didn't want to wake him up, so we took turns going in to get our treats and ate in the car. Not glamorous, but it surely reflects this season of life.



We had some fun family playtime when we got home, and then Max and I took a long, snuggly nap. Unfortunately by the time we woke up it was too late for us to go out to dinner as we had planned and get back in time to put Max to bed. Instead, we gave Max a bath and then Ben ran out and picked up some gyros and Greek salads while Max nursed (we never do take-out, so this still felt like a treat!). The timing worked out perfectly, and Ben got back just as we were ready to do bedtime stories with the baby. After putting Max down for the night, Ben and I enjoyed dinner and a movie.

I couldn't imagine a more perfect day, and I am so blessed to be somebody's mama.