As I've mentioned before, I didn't have that over the top storybook love feeling toward Max right away. Over the past two weeks, however, he's softened my heart and I'm finding myself loving him more and more each day. Without a doubt, having him start to smile when he sees me, and feeling him relax and snuggle in to me almost immediately when I hold him has made a huge difference.
I had my six week post-partum check-up with the midwife this morning and found myself feeling a little sad that it was my last pregnancy-related visit to the office. I have gotten to know the office staff and midwives over the past ten months, and going to my prenatal appointments was the highlight of my week. It was always so exciting so find out how much weight I had gained, hearing Max's heartbeat, and discussing the pregnancy and labor and delivery options with the midwives. The midwives were never in a rush during my appointments and they made sure all my questions were answered. It really felt like I was having an appointment with a friend, and it never felt like I was just another patient getting checked off the list. I will always remember the kindness and genuine care I received throughout my pregnancy.
My post-partum check-up was with Elizabeth who delivered Max. She greeted me with a huge hug and I got a little choked up seeing her with Max and chatting about life with a baby (she has three children, one of whom shares a birthday with Max!). Before I left we were able to take a few pictures with Elizabeth which I am glad to have since we forgot to take some at the hospital (she got braces a few months ago, hence the closed lipped smile- haha).
I really miss being pregnant and would give birth without pain medication again in a heartbeat. Watching my belly grow, reading about his development in the womb, feeling him move, and knowing that I was his sole protector and source of nourishment for 42 weeks is a blessing like none other, and a time in my life that I will always cherish. I am so glad I documented my pregnancy in photos and words on this blog to help me fill in the blanks as time passes and memories grow faint.
Though I mourn the end of my pregnancy, I am excited to be somebody's Mom and watch my little baby boy grow in to a man. Fortunately, the journey of motherhood has no ending.
