Friday, June 1, 2012

Week 27: The Home Stretch

I can't believe it, but this is the last week of the second trimester! Next week is the beginning of the third trimester which means we're about thirteen weeks away from the due date. It sure did sneak up on us fast. I feel like I was just writing the post sharing that we were moving into the second trimester! The physical changes in this trimester have been pretty significant. Here's a side-by-side of the size of my belly at the beginning and the end of the second trimester:



Incredible! He went from being a medium shrimp sized baby to a cauliflower sized baby. It's also neat to see how the seasons changed and everything bloomed in the woods behind our house. Ah... nature. :-)

In last week's post I mentioned that I've had to take my workouts down a notch. I also realized that I'm starting to feel all this extra weight a little more just in general. My legs get tired more quickly when I stand for long periods of time, and my toes are a little more prone to swelling (just a little!) when I've been standing for a long time. It sure is motivation to keep up exercise and healthy eating after the baby is born, because carrying excess weight is tiring!

This week I also had a stranger touch my belly for the first time. (Who does that?!)  I was taking a class at the gym and a lady noticed I was pregnant, grabbed my belly, and said "Well you know that baby's going to be active!" I know she didn't mean anything and was just being friendly, but she could have left out the grabbing bit. It was a little awkward.

Here's what the baby is up to this week:

This week, your baby weighs almost 2 pounds (like a head of cauliflower) and is about 14 1/2 inches long with her legs extended. She's sleeping and waking at regular intervals, opening and closing her eyes, and perhaps even sucking her fingers. With more brain tissue developing, your baby's brain is very active now. While her lungs are still immature, they would be capable of functioning — with a lot of medical help — if she were to be born now. Chalk up any tiny rhythmic movements you may be feeling to a case of baby hiccups, which may be common from now on. Each episode usually lasts only a few moments, and they don't bother her, so just relax and enjoy the tickle.

I posted the weekly photo further up, but in the spirit of keeping the posts consistent here is a larger version for the end of the post. :-)