Monday, June 4, 2012

Second Trimester Recap

At the end of the first trimester I typed up a little recap and I thought it would be fun do the same for the second trimester. Here we go!

Most exciting moment...

Seeing our baby on the ultrasound and finding out we are having a little boy! Feeling him move has also been pretty amazing. There's a real live baby in there!

Most challenging moment...

I don't really know that I have had any big challenges.... I'm a lucky girl!

One thing I'm proud of...

Similar to the first trimester, I am proud of continuing to exercise four to five days per week and eat a healthy diet. Healthy mom = healthy baby!

I'm also really proud that Ben and I have made it a priority to do fun, non-baby related activities as a couple and as individuals with friends. We're savoring this time when we can get out without worrying about finding a babysitter, or having to pack up a bunch of baby gear. At the same time, we often find ourselves saying, "I can't wait until we can do this with the baby!" We know life will only get better from here. :-)

One thing I wish were different...

I wish I could sleep more comfortably! Pregnant women are encouraged to sleep on their side to improve circulation (if a pregnant woman lays flat on her back for extended periods of time the weight of the baby can put pressure on a vein that carries blood to lower extremities). I often wake-up feeling kind of stiff and sore from sleeping on my side and from the weight of my belly pulling me over. This might be too much information, but I also get up at least once (sometimes more!) at night to go to the bathroom. I can't remember the last time I slept all the way through the night! Even on nights when I am up quite a bit from having "rabbit brain", potty breaks, or being up from general discomfort I am rarely super tired the next day. I guess my body is just starting to prepare itself to function on interrupted sleep!

Favorite food...

Dill pickles are still a staple in my diet! It's not uncommon for me to eat one or two as a snack in the afternoon. :-) I have been loving all the delicious summer produce that is available now, too!

Least favorite food...

I'm still not a huge fan of the texture of meat, but I do still eat it on occasion.

My physical state included...

A growing belly! In my first trimester recap I mentioned looking forward to getting a round belly, and I sure did get my wish! My belly button is well on its way to becoming an outie. It flattened out a while back and now the top rim pokes out. You can even see it when I'm wearing a close fitting shirt or dress! Also, my gums have gotten a bit more sensitive (a common pregnancy side effect), and occasionally it's a bit of a squeeze to get my wedding rings on and off. I think the ring issue may be more related to warmer temperatures and humidity than pregnancy, though, since it's not a constant issue.

Symptoms I (thankfully) didn't have...

Leg cramps, stretch marks, heartburn, etc.

One thing that surprised me...

I was surprised at how quickly I turned the corner from not getting worn out to having to take it easy more often. I am fortunate that I am still able to be very active, but I do find that I need to sit down and put my feet up more often.

Looking forward to...

Taking some classes to learn how to care for our baby, and of course meeting him!! I can't wait to see his sweet little face and see Ben holding our son in just a few months.