Sunday, September 2, 2012

Overdue, Day 5: Dear Max

Dear Max,

I truly hope you have enjoyed your stay in my belly as you've grown from a tiny ball of cells in to a full sized baby. I've done my best to make it a pleasant environment with lots of movement, good food, laughter, belly rubs, and your Dad has had a blast reading to you every night. All that being said....

Dude. It's time to come out. Seriously.

I think we both know that your accommodations are getting tighter by the day. I can tell it is getting more and more difficult for you to re-position and stretch out your arms and legs; and quite frankly I am getting a little worried that my belly skin may burst open at any given moment. My belly button has turned completely inside out, and strangers are starting to look at me nervously as though I am about to give birth in their presence.

Your Dad and I have been learning about and practicing for labor and delivery for several months now. I promise we'll do our best to work with you and help you as you make your journey in to the outside world. We're more than ready to hold you in our arms instead of just holding up my giant belly. If you push the "eject" button before September 10 we even have a chance to bring you in to the world without any drug intervention which would be awesome for all of us.

You and I have had a good run together since last December. I have enjoyed getting to know you as you've grown inside me, and I am going to miss feeling all your squirms and kicks. Your Dad and I like to call ourselves "Team Lilly" and we are so excited that you have made us a team of three. We've done lots of reading, taken classes, and talked to family, friends, and acquaintances so that we can be as prepared as possible to take care of you. Of course, we will make some mistakes along the way, but you can be assured that we will try our hardest to give you an awesome life.

Please, sweet baby boy, consider this letter a heartfelt invitation to come hang out with us sooner than later. I promise it would be better than having to present you with an official eviction notice on September 10.  :-)

Look forward to seeing you soon!

Love,
Mom